I mean I'd love to...

Posted by SgtPepper | Posted in , | Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009

I tried, I really did. I thought summer was going to be a very creative time, that was of course untill i remembered it is the time where no one ever does anything (around me at least). I tried to make a poem, I tried to construct a story, and maybe I could have, but you know how much I critizise and hate stupid formulas. I couldn't really feel a story, because despite the power of it, it doesn't come with a feeling, at least just yet.

What is this thing I talk about you may ask. Well, it is but a fragment of the lyrics of a song. The original song contanining them has very little to do with the meaning I gave to it, and it is not even a piece of song that goes together, which is in part what gives it more magic. And well, I shall end with the hype and explain myself.

There is this Franz Ferdinand song (been referring to does a lot huh?) No you girls, in the song the guy speaks about how girls don't understand how they make guys feel, and then reflects on the fact that guys don't even bother to try to understand, so it's a mess.

It's a good song and all, but what I rescued from it was that halfway the beggining he says "I love , I mean I'd love to get to know you", and then he proceeds and halfway to the end he says "I love, I mean I need to love you". Now you may just be wondering, Why on Earth would the bitter penguin be talking about love and cheesy songs?

Well, it is not a cheesy song. You see, this statement is first saying that he's about to (probably) say "I love you" but he retracts, and says something like "I'd love to get to know you". As if he was this clueless romantic guy, who's about to say I love you due to clumsyness. But instead, instead of being straight forward, he just drops a casual "Let's get to know each other". Denying the feelings, playing it cool. And well, that is kind of dorky if you ask me, necesary, but dorky.

Then, the song proceeds and he extends more the argument, and in a story-telling mode, time in that "relationship" passes, maybe a year, maybe five seconds. And he says "I love, I mean I need to love you". And while this just may seem a simple "I love you" it is not, not for me at least.

You see, it is going back to the confession, going back to revealing his inner though, and he surrenders to it, he's going to say it. And you think he's going to back down with the "I mean.." but he doesn't, he does not only gives into it, but he goes deep down rock bottom. This time he doesn't just confess but gives in completely.

And that is a very poetic figure in my taste, it is not cheesy, it is not formal, it is even childish. It is a tango dance of backing down and then stepping forward.

...

That or maybe I'm just some crazy ass penguin making up stories (I know it is actually this option...) but well, the point is that this got to me in such a way because, while the penguin hasn't written any romantic autobiography (not by choice), I strongly believe it would be like that. Because not only with saying I love you I'm like that, but with everything, which is something some (almost no one) could confirm.



I'd love to get to know you



by I'm the penguin

Comments (0)