Ice memories.

Posted by Mrs. Kite | Posted in , | Posted on Friday, November 05, 2010

According to Wikipedia, One Hundred Years of Solitude (Cien años de soledad, 1967), by Gabriel García Márquez, is a novel that narrates the multi-generational story of the Buendía Family.

I read this book some years ago, during summer.
The following posts have some of my favorite quotes.

"Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento, el coronel Aureliano Buendía había de recordar aquella tarde remota en que su padre lo llevó a conocer el hielo."
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.


I don’t remember discovering ice, nor the beach, nor the fire. I used to have an intense nostalgia towards the life debuts. And I got sad when I couldn’t remember the first whatever and I also tried doing things for the first time so I could remember them afterwards, and I ended up forgetting them anyways.

The thing about my memories now, is not the fact that they were the first or the last, but the fact that they are even there. First, that they are there, selected from the hundreds of things that have happened, and that in a casual, unexpected moment they come back to life. And that as complex living organisms, we even have that ability.



Comments (0)