My friend Todd

Posted by SgtPepper | Posted in | Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008

"Good morning Amanda, how are you today?" asked routinely Christa

"I'm fine Mrs.Jan, what about you?" answered Miss Morgan

"I am fine, thanks. I see you are wearing your yellow dress again" observed the psychiatrist

"It's my favorite" said Amanda, in a short, hardly audible voice

"Your mom told me you don't want to wear any other dress, why is that?" asked Christa

"Because I like it" said the girl, now starting to feel pressure

"Is there any special reason why would you want to be a girl in a yellow dress all the time?" asked Mrs. Jan

Both remained in silence for a couple of seconds, but before she lost her completely, Christa Jan tried to bring back Amanda.

"Amanda, are you listening to me?" asked Christa

The girl nodded.

"Could you please tell me, why is it that you act in that way? Is it because of a story? A story some friend told you?" the doctor kept with the interrogatory

But again the girl just nodded, looking blankly at the window.

"So, you liked so much this story that you wanted to act like it, is that why you are wearing always your yellow dress?" asked the psychiatrist, obviously wanting to get to somewhere.

This time Amanda hardly nodded, she was sank on her seat, staring at the window.

"Could you tell me a little bit about this story?" asked Mrs. Jan

"Your office smells like new car, I like it" answered Amanda

"Thank you for your compliment, but could you please talk to me a little about this story?" asked the doctor

"Stories"answered the girl, still looking at the window

"Could you please tell me about this stories?" she was starting to get annoyed

"I can't" finally said the girl, after a few minutes of silence

"Why? Did this friend told you not to tell anyone?" accused the doctor

"No, Toddy would be fine about me spreading the word about the girl in the yellow dress, but i couldn't remember exactly how the story goes" resolved the girl

"Well what is it about?" asked the psychiatrist

"That's not how it works" said the girl, ending the topic

"Well, could you talk to me about this new friend of yours?"

"He's name is Todd and he likes cheese burgers with three pickles and one slice of tomato" answered the girl, for the first time eager.

"And how old is he?" asked Doctor Jan, finally getting to the whole point of the appointment

"I don't know, he's old. Not old like you and my parents, he's not seventy." answered the wondering girl

After a hypocrite laugh doctor Jan determined that neither her parents or her were even close to be seventy.

"And do you get along with Todd all the time?" asked the psychiatrist

"Yes, he's lots of fun." answered the girl

"How did you meet him?" kept asking

"In the mad-house" answered the girl

"Amanda, don't call it that way. It is a place for people with special needs just like you and Todd" said the preoccupied doctor

"I know, but he calls it that way, sounds funnier than help and health center" said Amanda, playing with her hair

"And what do you do with Todd? Do you play like the other kids?" continued Dr. Jan

"Well, not really, he tells me stories you see?" said the girl

"What kind of stories?" asked inquisitively

"Of all kinds, he told me all the stories about the girl of the yellow dress, fairy tales, about the fields of the black birds" listed the girl, making an expression of delight for every story she remembered

"And does he get along with the other kids, or with the adults?" asked the doctor

"No, everyone says he's very lonely. But I think his stories are enough company for him, with such fantastic worlds who would need real people making it all dull?" said the girl, leaving the doctor speechless for a few minutes.




By I'm the penguin

Comments (0)