About Grapes and Periodicity

Posted by SgtPepper | Posted in | Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Whenever I think about New Year’s Eve, several objects or quick flashes come into my head: Candles, Grapes, Chimneys, Hugs, Grapes, Candles, Grapes. I also think about people I love, about people I don’t love so much, and about total strangers. And I think about Grapes again. It’s the wishing part of it that fascinates me. Although year after year I wish for some crap that never “comes true” I keep wishing, twelve important grapes. I think. Not the rest of the year though, all the other grapes I eat, they’re just “common” grapes. With no meaning whatsoever, except for their exquisite taste and mild acidity which as it seems, I love. But the fact of thinking those are special grapes. And of making those (vane) wishes which in the end, I don’t actually remember, and that’s probably why I keep wishing for the same thing….

Why’s New Year so relevant? I thought about it a lot. Remember once we talked about periodicity of time? Which is totally un-periodic, but we give it that quality? New Year is the way of establishing that periodicity, a “start over again” (It’s the again part that disturbs me…clearly ) But of course, not without the paradox involving the meaning of the new year: making wishes, resolutions, etc. The way of disapproving that periodicity with the idea we might do things better this time, with the idea we get to leave the rest behind. Isn’t it curious?

So, anyways… Times running up.. (thanks for the reminder damn calendar… )
But whatever… Enjoy the year…
Best Wishes!!

[Mrs. K i t e ]

Comments (0)