Just a mometum: inelastic meetings

Posted by SgtPepper | Posted in | Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008

Aiden was new in a school where we all had known each other since kindergarten, well that is kind of an exaggeration, almost no one knew me, and I didn’t know the name of at least the 5% of the school, but I had sure been seeing their faces for a while. He came from some not so snobbish city in California (which is possible). And that is almost all I could say about him, because describing him in a sentence or two would be futile, his story most be told.

Aiden was a little boy when he first found out broken bones heal in matter of weeks. Ever since then, he climbed trees every day and he threw himself to the ground, just for the fun of it. In his daredevil affairs he also found out confidence could heal, just like bones, maybe it had a tendency to break more and have life permanent scars, but it still healed. So at seven he said so long to shyness and entered the school plays and talked to kids in upper years. These innocent actions later became stealing the school mascot’s suit in home coming game to make impolite, so to say, body signals to the other team, along with some egg throwing. Another famous one was pouring twenty sacks of Corn starch into the school’s pool, and then running over water in front of everyone. The dude was kind of crazy.

And back to my story, it all started like many things around me start, with a ring. I went running to A. P Literature while reading about some guy named Carnot, apparently he was the first to notice water boiled with heat. He was not only a scientist but an idealist as well, which is not always the same. So I was minding my own business when Jock McStud runs into me and we collide, there was no inelasticity, or in other words I flew across the hall in opposite direction. Obviously I took the hard blow and hit the floor, along with my bag and many books. And for my surprise, this Jock guy stared at me with doubtive face and just said “Should I help you or something?” he was not from around here, at least local jerks have the decency to say sorry.

So I stood up fast and clean, ready to enter when this guy was cynic enough to introduce himself. “Hi, I’m Aiden, and kind of new here” he said, extending his hand as if I cared enough to shake it, which I anyways did. “I’m Greg” I said, ready for him not to care and just leave to his Appreciation of music I, then the weird part started. “Carnot? Really? Are you going trough scientific literature or something?” He asked, more intrigued than worried.

“Oh, no this is mine, as in not from the class” I gibberished, impressed by him knowing who Carnot was, it’s not like it figures in all textbooks with drawings. “Well, unless you’re taking class in the hallway we kind of should get in” he said looking at his watch, apparently we were already five minutes late, and he knew who Carnot was.

As he followed me to the classroom (because he had no idea where anything was) I asked him where he came from “California” he said, not a city, not a direction, just California. “So are you in any other A.P classes?” I asked, wanting to know how bad was my previous jock judgment.”Not many…” he said, which meant only this one… I guess some people are just good at literature and being jocks.

And after a few seconds of silence, “just the basic ones” he said, in a lower voice “you know… chemistry, geometry, those kinds of classes” he said. My expression couldn’t have been more amazed, I was getting really bad at this match-class-with-look game. “What? Don’t I look like your average nerd?” he said, obviously noticing my expression and making such an irony, comparing Michael Angelo’s David to Munch’s Scream, right in our humble Public School Jefferson’s south corridor.

Then the class began, he introduced himself to the whole class and again only said “California”, which sounded enough hot for most girls who started giggling, then he was asked what had he worked with, and gave him a copy of “A hundred years of solitude” which apparently he had read in the summer, for the second time. All and all he seemed like a nice guy, a weird combination of cool 90s Californian kid with Chicago nerd, but I would let tags for later, this one was complex.

.




[lateness due to quality obsession]
By I'm the penguin

Comments (0)