About story telling and blogs

Posted by SgtPepper | Posted in | Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009

Doing a blog these days (which are the only days blogs have existed) is about a periodical posting of one's life, it is like a very unprivate diary, made for every single person in the world to see, in that instance we do make it kind of secret don't we? Blogs are meant to be a catch up into someone's life, but what if we don't know said person? Isn't it like reading a reality show, but this might actually answer your fan mail? Isn't blogging and v-blogging and whatever format of ita way to feed a huge voyeurism in us all? And believe me, I don't want it to sound dirty, and I know a million people would feel offended by that, but in a way I'm right.

Of course it has many advantages, all the connection, interactivity and international web-socializing, and they are just fine. But to me, maybe because I'm a story teller, a blog is more like a story of a character, a continuous, (almost) never ending story. And notice I say character because when a person is virtual, you do know it's there, but most of the time, unconsciously if you will, you don't realize it is truly a person, you just assume it is a character. In that way I think the internet has done wonders for the predicted to be doomed story telling.

And in that way this couldn't be really seen as a blog, because of many reasons. First we do update daily, which makes us very unusual, second, we don't share our private lives... or do we? I never told you here of the time I was on the street and so a crazy woman throwing rocks in the park, which could have made a wonderful story, but I didn't. You don't even know our real names, you don't even read us. We just tell stories and nonsense. But doesn't that tell you more about me than telling you about the time my cousin told me I would never succeed in life? I think story telling is much more about me than my life per se, if you know what I mean.

So perhaps we're not blogging directly, by telling you our stories, by becoming characters with recurring problems and e-mails you can send your stalkerish messages to. But, I think that we do blog, we become the narrators so you can make up the characters, so you can put the puzzle together, so you can see us. But of course that would requier lots of readers and time, which we have non. But I just wanted to go there, into the oh-you're-not-really-a-blog-you-never-speak-about-you issue. That remarked, I think we can go on with our complex over 290 pieces puzzle that could or not be named blog.


[indirectly blogging since 2008.... let's wait some years until that becomes some sort of real mile stone]
By I'm the penguin

Comments (0)