Lattices

Posted by SgtPepper | Posted in , | Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009

I was looking at the glass. At the bottom of the glass precisely as I sipped the last inch of water on it. It was a refreshing reminder of how thirsty I was, and how long had I been suffering with dehydration without noticing it. I filled it again, and again. I felt my lips where regaining their habitual texture and I left the glass over the glass table. As they came to a sudden but mild collision I heard a peculiar sound which gave me pleasure.
My feet where cold so I tugged myself into bed. I took the book I had by my side and opened it. Page 67 as I recall. No. It was page 58. I tried to read but I didn’t had my glasses, which I said I didn’t “need” but as I tried to read I realized I did.
[ …] a crystal was built from the repetition of innumerable identical lattices – that it was, in effect, a single giant self-replication lattice – seemed marvelous to me. Crystals were like colossal microscopes that allowed one to see the actual configuration of the atoms inside them. I could almost see, in my mind’s eye, the lead atoms and the sulfur atoms composing the galena – I imagined them vibrating slightly with electrical energy, but otherwise firmly held in position, joined to one another now, coordinated in an infinite cubic lattice.


Mr Oliver Sacks's Genius, from Unlce Tungsten [of course]

[Mrs. K i t e ]

Comments (0)