We're losing them to apathy

Posted by SgtPepper | Posted in | Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008

I almost gave up today, It's becoming more and more tiring, frustrating. I'm becoming hopeless and enraged, my passion is dying and I bet it's all because of the damn MTV and all the texting and all that crap in their minds.

Just as an example the other day, in the morning class, when I have the most hope this kids will be fresh and awake, just after waking up half of the class. I ask
"Well kids how do you think it's Catcher in the rye?" of course assuming they've read some of it, given that the test was today. And what do I hear?
"Is it that new show where they leave people in the forest all alone with a maniac with a shotgun?"

I chose this job because I wanted to educate young minds, to fill them with that thirst of knowledge and passion for the truth, bu it seems they don't care. They really don't care about anything. It seems they no longer hold dreams or aspirations, they no longer want anything from life but their quick pleasures. And it's really sad to know that they will and lead this world into the bluntness, the empty, a void of apathy.

And it's not only the classes they don't like, because I have to admit I was not so eager about Trig III back in my days. But this is different, they don't like school, they don't like being home. They just go out an party like animals so they are not so bored. The drink at the age of 12, they have sex by the age of 14 and they consume if not addicts any kind of crap by the time they're 16. And it's not to live fast and die young, or to live in a rush. They just do it to be entertained for a while, to fill the emptiness in all of them, they're apathy is greater than their will to live.

In class I always try to make unusual projects to inspire them, to attract them into something. But all I get back is whining and terrible work with the least effort for some sort of grade. They couldn't possibly care any less for the environment. Art is something for old people, they think. And thinking about a carrier in their senior year is just taking things way ahead of them.

About the reasons, well I could name fifty thousand theories about why are they so numb minded, but the reason is not really the problem, because they don't seem to be able to change, they seem to be comfortable in their ghost zone with no ambitions or dreams. And that could not possibly make me sadder.



By I'm the penguin

Comments (0)